– TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence program dates: April 15, 2017 – June 23, 2017.
– This residency is intended to fund a creation of a new artist work inspired by the event theme for TEDxYYC 2017. The work may be a performance piece, visual presentation, or installation intended for lobby exhibit.
– A series of meetings with the artist will be conducted with the TEDxYYC curatorial and production teams to discuss content, budget, timeline and execution of the project. A project proposal may be adapted and updated based on the outcome of these conversations.
– Applicants are responsible for logistics and transportation of their project to and from the TEDxYYC venue (Arts Commons in Calgary, Alberta), any presentation equipment (easels, projectors, screens, etc.) and for any expenses including artist fees that fall beyond the expense limit as set forth in the TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence program. Where possible, TEDxYYC may assist in the presentation of the exhibit, but the costs of the presentation/installation should be considered in the project budget and are the responsibility of the artist.
– A creation developed as part of the TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence program is not automatically scheduled for a public presentation at TEDxYYC. The decision to include a project in TEDxYYC programming is made separately from the decision to support a residency.
– Expenses will be paid only when the artist has completed the project and participated in the TEDxYYC 2017 event. Should the TEDxYYC committee choose not to include the project in the event programming, funds for expenses shall be paid – provided the artist has completed the work on the project. This decision is at the discretion of the TEDxYYC committee.
– Length of the pilot project is approximately two (2) months in duration, culminating at the TEDxYYC 2017 event. All projects should be completed within this timeframe.
All applications will be considered. Individual application feedback will not be provided. The TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence program does not include accommodation.
– As part of the TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence program, the artist may be asked to engage in media interviews, meetings, presentations to the public and/ or social media activity regarding the residency and their work.
– The artist is seen as an independent contractor and not a representative of TEDxYYC, TEDx, TED, or its affiliates.
– The artist should be prepared to install or perform their creation at the event on their own. Where possible, TEDxYYC may provide technical or installation support. For performance-based creations, rehearsal time on stage will be provided, but this time will be limited to basic technical needs and a dress rehearsal.
– Artists who have already participated in previous Artist in Residence programs organized by TEDxYYC or another TEDx organization are not eligible for participation.
– A representative from TEDxYYC will check-in on the progress of the project several times prior to the TEDxYYC 2017 event. Schedule of check-ins will be set after March 31, 2017.
– The artist will be asked to complete a final report on the TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence experience after the completion of the program.
– Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to, paints, artistic materials, rental of studio or rehearsal space, post production services. Artist fees are not eligible as an expense. Expenses outside this list must be approved by the TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence program coordinator prior to expenditure. Capital costs are not eligible. The artist will be required to submit receipts for the expenses and submit an expense report.
– While TEDxYYC encourages a diversity of ideas and themes, all projects must adhere to the TED organizational mandate. Projects should not endorse specific political, religious, or commercial endeavours or ideals.
The TEDxYYC 2017 Artist in Residence will be selected by a jury of TEDxYYC committee members and designated community partners. The decision of the jury is final.
The artist shall maintain ownership of creation at all times. TEDxYYC retains the right to exhibit or present the creation at no fee during the TEDxYYC 2017 event.