We are less than 10 days away from our TEDxYYC Drive-in event taking place on Thursday, August 20, 2020 at TELUS Spark. Remember, there are two ‘showtimes’ to choose from A) 5:00 to 7:00 pm and B) 8:30 to 10:30 pm. Join our Host, Ken Lima-Coelho for the summer event that Calgary has been waiting for.
This year’s speakers will be exploring several important topics and issues we are facing in our world today. From racism and allyship to surviving the justice system as a sexual assault survivor. From decolonizing popular childhood stories to the future of our energy system. From exploring why our behaviour towards climate change and even COVID19 can be more fiction than fact, to re-discovering old stories that can help us deal with new challenges. We are excited to discuss these ‘ideas worth spreading’.
The outdoor venue at TELUS Spark features three large LED screens. “Experience the retro-chic of a Drive-in show, complete with a popcorn and candy concession stand, combined with the future-facing optimism of TED talks,” says Andrew Guilbert, volunteer and writer for TEDxYYC.
- Adora Nwofor, professional actress, comedian, public speaker and organizer of the Black Lives Matter vigil.
- Keeta Gladue, self-proclaimed Indigenous nerd, passionate about pop culture and storytelling,
- Dan Balaban, co-founder, president and CEO of Greengate Power, a leading Canadian renewable energy company.
- Byanca Nimijean, U of C Social Work student whose seemingly impossible journey took her through the highly involved processes of the justice system.
- Dr. Sweta Chakraborty, risk and behavioural scientist who is the U.S. Representative for “We Don’t Have Time,” the Sweden-based tech start-up that launched Greta Thunberg to global renown.
- Richard Harrison, winner of the Governor General’s Award for English Language Poetry in 2017, who recently experienced his Mother’s medically assisted death.
- Salima Stanley-Bhanji, CEO of Humainologie, lawyer and filmmaker.
Join us this year for an unforgettable TEDxYYC event. Drive-in tickets are $100 per vehicle and you can bring up to four members of your cohort. Please note that tickets are only available for pre-purchase here and will not be sold at the door. Get your tickets before Wednesday August 19, 2020. Don’t forget to pre-purchase your popcorn, hotdogs, candy and non-alcoholic drinks. See you at the drive-in!