TEDxYYC 2020: LEVEL UP at the DRIVE-IN
We are excited to announce the 2020 TEDxYYC Drive-In event on August 20th. Our outdoor venue will be at TELUS Spark and we are delighted to have a partnership with BIG ART to deliver this unforgettable experience. This event will truly be a ‘level up’, as per this year’s theme.
There will be two shows to choose from, tickets on sale now:
– August 20th at 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
– August 20th at 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM
To level up is to take TEDxYYC to the next level. When we chose this theme in January, we had no idea just how relevant and meaningful Level Up in 2020 would be. When COVID-19 hit, we had to reimagine everything. Finding an innovative way to social distance and to be together in-person for our main event was no easy feat.
Don’t miss the chance to experience TEDxYYC 2020 live! As Calgary’s largest independently-organized TEDx event, our 11th annual event will continue our legacy of excellence and inspiration in the areas of Technology, Entertainment, and Design.
2020 TICKET BREAKDOWN
- Drive-In tickets are $100 per vehicle with a complimentary TEDxYYC experience bag (given to you upon arrival). With two showings, space is limited to 100 cars per show.
- Combo 1: 1 popcorn + 1 drink + 1 candy
- Combo 2: 2 popcorn + 2 drink + 1 candy
- Combo 3: 2 hot dogs + 2 popcorns + 2 drinks + 1 candy
Pop and candy selection will take place on arrival at the show.
Drink Choices (591ml): Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, 7Up, Brisk Iced Tea, Aquafina Bottled Water
Candy Choices: Chocolate M&M’s, Peanut M&M’s, Maynard Fuzzy Peach, Twizzler Strawberry Twists, Gummy Worms
*** Concessions are also available on-site on the day of your show ***
TEDxYYC Drive-in: Everything you need to know
What is the capacity for each showing?
- 100 cars. As per Alberta Health Services regulations, all guests will be required to remain inside their vehicles.
Can I buy tickets at the door?
- No. Tickets must be pre-purchased and will not be available onsite. Tickets can be purchased via Showpass up until August 19, 2020 the day before the event.
How will vehicles be placed in the lot? Can I pick a parking spot?
- Ushers will guide you to a stall, on a first come, first serve basis. We suggest you arrive early. Smaller cars will be placed near the front and larger cars may be placed near the back.
Are passengers allowed to sit outside their vehicle for viewing?
- No. In compliance to Alberta Health Services (AHS) regulations, all passengers must stay inside their vehicle. The only time passengers are allowed to step out of the car is to use the washrooms inside of TELUS Spark. According to current rules and regulations open windows are acceptable.
Are there washrooms?
- Guests are welcome to use the washrooms inside TELUS Spark, accessed through the main doors, at any time throughout the show – masks are mandatory while inside the building. We ask that you avoid using the washrooms after each show, to avoid line ups and congestion in the building and parking lot.
Are masks required?
- Masks are required when using the indoor washrooms. A limited number of disposable masks will be provided if visitors forget. Read more here.
Are there COVID-19 restrictions in place?
- Yes, we take the health and safety of our audience very seriously. Please consult the list of rules & regulations that can be found here.
What is my admission good for?
- Your admission is good for one vehicle with up to 5 people. In the case of families with small children exceeding 5, with the proper amount of seatbelts, we may make exceptions. However, management reserves the right to refuse admission.
Should I arrive early?
- Doors will be open one hour before the show.
Will the show still take place if it rains?
- Yes. The show will go on rain or shine. No refunds will be issued in case of rain.
Will there be an intermission during the show?
Can I purchase snacks?
- Please pre-purchase snacks when you purchase your tickets. Online snack orders will close when doors open. Pre-purchase for the 5pm show here. Pre-purchase for the 8:30pm show here.
- Alternatively, you can order on-site by flagging down one of our attendants wearing bright green vests, they will take your order. You pay on the spot by tapping your credit or debit card; we do not accept cash. Your order will be delivered to your vehicle shortly after.
How do I get sound for the show?
The audio for the show will be transmitted by FM radio directly to your car. The exact station will be displayed on the screens before the start of the movie, and given to you upon arrival.
How can we see the show from the backseat of the car?
- There are three large LED video screens so you will be able to see out the side windows. However, due to the nature of the parking lot, some sight lines are better than others depending on your vehicle.
Can I leave at anytime?
- Unless it is an emergency, we ask that you please stay for the entire experience.
.Will I be able to see the LED screens from anywhere in the venue?
- The size, height and placement of the screens are limited due to venue restrictions. We will do our best to create a magical experience, but please keep these limitations in mind when viewing.
Can I bring cannabis or alcohol?
- No. Please leave alcohol and cannabis at home.
Can I bring my RV/Camper?
Due to the limitation of the parking lot, campers and RVs will not be permitted. Some exceptions may apply for smaller conversion vans. Management reserves the right to refuse entry of these vehicles. Keep in mind, you will be placed near the back of the venue in order to maintain sight lines for smaller vehicles.
Can I bring my pet?
- No. Pets are not permitted at this event.
Can I leave my car running?
- Please refrain from running your vehicles unless absolutely necessary.
I have friends arriving later, can I reserve a spot next to mine for them?
- Every parking spot is first-come, first serve, and you will be placed by an usher. If you wish to park together, please arrive together. Keep in mind, we will place vehicles according to their size.
What if my car battery dies?
- Just ask an usher and we will give you a boost.
Can I walk in or ride my bike?
- At this time, all guests must be in a vehicle in accordance to Alberta Health Services (AHS) regulations.
Don’t see your question here?
- Please email us at info@TEDxYYC.com