09 Jun Recommended reads from TEDxYYC 2019 speakers
TEDxYYC is all about ideas worth spreading. We also believe that inspiration lives both on the TEDxYYC stage—and off.
Our speakers are curious, innovative, and committed to learning more about the world around them. It’s no surprise that we’ve found many of them to be avid readers, with some even publishing their own books.
We’ve curated a list of recommended reads from this year’s TEDxYYC speakers, and we definitely encourage you to check them out and see what sparks your curiosity! Who knows what you might learn?
Philip Calvert – Mobilizing communities to end slavery in our lifetime
- The Locust Effect – Gary Haugen
Maria Hoover – Local designer merges cutting edge electronics with high fashion
- One hundred years of solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- The power of vulnerability, by Brene Brown
- Start with Why, by Simon Sinek
Todd Hirsch – Chief economist offers insight on the shared economy
- Spiders in Space: Successfully Adapting to Unwanted Change by Todd Hirsch and Robert Roach
- Halfway Home: Fifty Years in Fifty Chapters by Todd Hirsch
- The Boiling Frog Dilemma: Saving Canada From Economic Decline by Todd Hirsch
Dave Proctor – A world-record holding runner’s race against rare diseases
- How bad do you want it by Matt Fitzgerald
- Endure by Alex Hutchinson
Casey Berglund – Purpose-driven wellness coaching transforms lives of visionary leaders
- Mindsight – Daniel Seigel
- Intuitive Eating – Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
Morgan Hamel – Fashion ethicist creates new business model connecting women and brands
- Blind Spots: Why We Fail to Do What’s Right and What to Do about It by Ann E. Tenbrunsel and Max H. Bazerman
Barb Higgins – Award-winning journalist turns curiosity to the effect of toxic stress
- Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van der Kolk MD
- Waking the Tiger by Dr. Peter A. Levine, PhD
- Upside by Jim Redon
Douglas Cardinal – Indigenous architect explores land and space use for future generations
- Rudolf Steiner: A Biography by Christoph Lindenberg
- The Go-Giver by Bob Burg
- Touch the Earth: A Self-Portrait of Indian Existence by T.C. McLuhan
Paul Brandt – Singer, storyteller, and philanthropist combining unconventional creativity and inspired action
- Halftime by Bob Buford
- Run With The Horses by Eugene Peterson
- Love Does by Bob Goff
Scott Gravelle – A tech disruptor rethinking old problems with new robots
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- How to create a mind by Ray Kurzweil
- Blitzscaling by Reid Hoffman
Jim Button – I am here. The question is why?
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
Bring your curiosity to TEDxYYC and let yourself be inspired by passionate speakers moved to make a difference. Then see what books have moved them to new ideas and fresh thinking, and pick one up today!
(Hint: Look for these titles and more, onsite, at TEDxYYC!)
We can’t wait to see you at TEDxYYC! Grab your tickets today, they won’t last long!